With summer in full swing, hit a quick pause with our hot weather skin checklist before you fully give into the sunshine. These shortcut gems are straight from Sanela’s Adriatic Coast textbook, to elevate your skin game and mood!
Whether your summer plans include a beach or city hopping, have you ever wondered why your skin is not tanning evenly or some areas are suddenly showing congestion bumps and dry patches?
As skin thickness varies, you’ll find that thinner skin areas tend to tan and show signs of stress and hyperpigmentation faster. For example, areas around eyes and temples, the back of hands, shoulders, chest as well as shins, have a thinner epidermal skin layer and tan first as well as show signs of dehydration and sun damage. Furthermore, melanin synthesis and pigment transfer to cells is faster in these areas and, if left untreated, then go on to develop as dark spots.
In contrast, the skin on chin, thighs, on back of legs and tummy is thicker and and ultraviolet (UV) rays take longer to penetrate it, hence these areas tend to tan more slowly. Skin here also needs more help to shed the dead skin cells and stimulate cell turnover, so to ensure a more even tan - and even skin tone too!
The one for even tan (and tone) allover: Purity Paste
- Exfoliate thicker skin areas: speed up your bathroom game and apply Purity Paste 2-3 times a week to remove any dry, dead skin that can block or deflect UV light and to leave skin clean and soft, ready for an application of tanning products or SPF. Purity Paste removes dead skin cells evenly, and does not cause any skin irritation or dryness, as often scrubs do.
- Avoid retinol and strong acids like glycolic acid. If you apply strong actives after being in the sun, you will end up stressing the skin and cause inflammations - which tend to manifest as breakouts or dark spots. Use gentler ingredients like vitamin A rich oils e.g. rosehip and PHA (a gentler acid) - both found in Purity Paste.
- Apply sunscreen to face and body at least 20 minutes before going in the sun, and reapply throughout the day. Tip: add a few drops of Wake-Up Droplets to your morning routine (or through the day) to help protect skin from hyperpigmentation and keep it deliciously cool and zesty!
If you’re spending time by the pool, rinse off skin after taking a dip to wash off any chlorine chemicals that tend to dry out skin and hair. Swimming in the sea or ocean is different as saltwater is detoxifying, and once washed off the skin is left smoother and healthy. Liberally apply moisture to your body, face and hair throughout your time in the sun - at least on areas with naturally thinner skin.
The one to take with you: Wake-Up Droplets
Day time - Vitamin C and antioxidants to brighten and help protect skin from free radicals. Extra perk: this mattifying formula takes down any unwanted shine, it’s a perfect shortcut to glass-like smooth skin. Hat on, the safe side is the shady side!
Night time - Arbutin, allantoin, PHA and prebiotic enzymes to soothe and treat skin after sun exposure, plus fade hyperpigmentation. Pre-bedtime tip: apply Wake-Up Droplets on damp skin, straight after showering, its naturally active formula feels like an extra cooling dip and helps to speed up skin healing overnight.
- Re-texturise rough skin and even out tone with prebiotic enzymes to help micro-buff skin
- Boost antioxidant protection against external skin aggressors and enhance collagen production
- Brighten skin and slow down melanin synthesis and pigment transfer to cells
- Fade dark spot and discolouration caused by sun damage and summer breakouts
- Soothe and smooth sun-kissed skin with anti-inflammatory and cooling properties
Take extra care with your evening cleanse. With SPF application, sweat and pollution we want to make sure to remove all of the impurities of the day, and adding a scoop of Purity Paste will help shift any stubborn debris from the pores without damaging skin’s barrier.
Skin may need some extra help to recover after days spent in the summer’s heat, try to create a trifecta of moisture so your skin can absorb moisture in three different stages. Start with a hydrating essence like Vitality Spritz, follow up with a nourishing non-comedogenic lotion Serenity Salve and seal with a plumping oil Merry-Berry Plump. Apply on damp skin and allow for 30 seconds after each step so to get maximum benefit from your routine.
The one to go to bed with: Serenity Salve
- Hydration: Serenity Salve can help to lock in moisture and prevent water loss from the skin, which can be especially important for those with dry, stressed or dehydrated skin.
- Nourishment: lotion contains proteins, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients that can help to nourish and protect the skin.
- Anti-ageing benefits: Serenity Salve helps to improve the appearance of fine lines by promoting collagen production and supporting the skin's natural repair processes.
- Keep your skin moisturised. Although summer skin can feel more supple with oil glands more active, nonetheless air-con and sweating can dry out skin. Keep face and body moisturised both before and after being in the sun to also maximises your tan, and this lotion is suitable for allover skincare to streamline your summer routine.
Elevate your summer bliss
Cool as…Yogurt! My favourite way to quickly cool down any heat or sun burn is to apply a thick layer of yogurt straight after being in the direct sun. Probiotics found in Natural and Greek yoghurt can relieve sunburn as they work to restore the skin’s natural barrier and reduce inflammation. In fact it’s this soothing effect I wanted to have with Wake-Up Droplets formula, and I think you’ll agree it’s just as cooling but without the kitchen larder backdrop!
Recreate Saint Iris haven…on the Croatian Coast! There is nothing like being at “the source” of the best-in-class wellness. My forever favourite place to recharge is the Adriatic’s islands archipelago, often scarcely populated and wildly pure.
For your first venture to this region I’d recommend Brac and Hvar islands - both are a short ferry ride from Split and a picturesque introduction to Adriatic chicness. From olive groves, endless blue horizon, live like a goddess and dream of indulging your skin and senses - preferably in our Adriatic-inspired emerald glass vessels!
Lemongarden, Brač - adults only hotel
Maslina resort, Hvar (bottom image, above) - named after our favourite skincare ingredient: olive!
La Dolce Vita in the City:
Nothing says sustainable chic like a summer hat (Jacquemus, top left) or stylish straw bag, I’d carry mine throughout sunny spring and summer outings and food market expeditions. This White Company Straw Circle Shopper (top middle) version is perfect for city and beach!